Threats from West Africa has become very common. From warning you that if you do not send money to them, they will report you to FBI or Secret Service up to telling you they got hired to kill you or you loved ones.
All these threats are email templates which the scammer is sending out every day to hundreds and thousands of People!
What can you do if you are target of such Threats?
Here some Tips, which I found at
The fastest way to get rid of threatening phone calls is to get yourself a whistle, a plastic one from a discount toy store will do, and blow it loudly into the telephone. The calls will stop immediately.
Please do not alter your entire life because of the threats; remember that so long as you refuse to send any money or any more money, they will go away. You are useless to them and of no importance whatsoever to them if they cannot get any money out of you.
Do not bother telling the scammers, either by phone or email, that you have reported them to the authorities. They simply don't care. This will not make them stop contacting you. They will continue to contact you so long as you are responsive. STOP talking to them and stop writing to them. Keep in mind that every time you open one of their emails they know about it because they get a notice stating that their letter has been opened (email receipt), and you are also opening your hard drive to them.
Go back to #1: Blowing that whistle in their ear will make you feel very, very good.
For Threats of physical violence it is recommended to file a "General Report" at the next Police Station.
How to protect your self and your Family?
1. A little paranoia is a good thing, but keep it in check. If you become too emotional, you're no good to yourself or anyone else.
2. Avoid being home alone.
3. Make sure there are always lights on somewhere in your house.
• Buy timer switches at the hardware store.
• Set them so that your lights go on and off in different parts of your house at different times, and so that the radio comes on and goes off, same with the television. Be unpredictable.
4. Change your routine wherever possible - do not be predictable.
5. Keep your doors and windows locked. Do not open your door to anyone you do not know and whose voice you cannot easily recognize through the door. If opening your door is an automatic reaction, stop it. You DO NOT have to open your door to anyone. Do not assume you know who is on the other side, or that it is ever safe.
• If someone says they are the police or the FBI, and you have a peephole or other means of seeing outside, have them hold up their badge where you can clearly read it. Take your time.
• If you do not have a peephole or other means of seeing outside, ask them what office they are from, call information to get the phone number for that office (do not use a phone number they give you), then call to verify.
• Use the same precautions with deliveries, repairmen, everyone.
6. Alternate your routes to and from the store, the bank, the office, etc. Be unpredictable.
7. If you have children, make sure they are not left outside unsupervised.
• If they are driven to activities, make sure that whoever is dropping them off walks into the facility and checks in with the attending adult who has been made aware of the situation in advance.
• If they are to be picked up, whoever is picking them should arrive early, enter the facility, check in with the attending adult, and walk the children to the car.
8. Be aware of your surroundings at all times. This is a bit of a hassle at first, but after a while you will become accustomed to noting who is in your vicinity and what they are doing. If you notice anything that gives you pause, go into the nearest building and wait. Exit by a different door if possible. Be unpredictable.
9. Do not park far from any building. If you cannot find a parking space that is close to the building, wait. Drive around for a while. When you go back to your car, see if you can find someone to escort you. If you cannot find someone to escort you, hold your car door key in your hand ready to insert into the lock. Walk firmly and quickly to your car, open the door, get in and immediately lock the doors. This is a good practice for all women regardless of whether or not there has been a threat.
10. At night, keep your shades drawn.
SCAMMERS ARE IN THE BUSINESS TO MAKE MONEY AND NOT TO SPEND MONEY. IF YOU ARE "UNCOOPERATIVE" THEY WILL LEAVE YO ALONE AFTER A WHILE!